Monday, September 20, 2010

Two Looks at Lace

I've had this scrummy Collette Dinnigan black lace dress for about a year.  
Would you believe I bought it at a flea market for - get this ... $1!.
It was the end of the day, the woman still had heaps of gear to sell and she was extremely fed-up!
I STILL pinch myself when I look at it hanging in my closet.




It's clearly (;D) see-through, yet I wanted to try a couple of ways to wear it that didn't involve a black slip or dress underneath.
I wanted the gorgeous lace to be the star of the show.
It has a side zip, so no nasty back fastenings to spoil the look, and the armholes and neckline are edged in silk velvet ribbon.




I feel the dress could work for both day and night, it just takes a bit of playing about with proportions.
As my base, I chose the black 1950s corset I wore here and a pair of black wet-look leggings, so the dress would slide over the pants.
I added a thrifted denim Jag jacket and 1950s-style beauty-ad-print wedges.
The jacket happened to be from the same flea market stall for another buck and it sees a lot of wear.






I popped on my leather red rose ring and added a few vintage brooches to the jacket.
The one that looks like a book, really is a book.  It's from the 60s and has "New Zealand" written on the front cover.
Open it and a sheaf of miniature tourist postcards fold out.  
It's my favourite brooch.
And yes, that's a nurses watch (in working order) that I bought at a flea market ($12).







I like how the corset accentuates the delicate dress lace - modern corsets just do not do the same for a woman's natural shape either.
For night, I've added a 1950s black velvet veiled hat, Forever 21 feather cape, 1980s snakeskin clutch and velvet platform heels.




Pile on the bracelets and pearl ropes.  Add some red lippy.




I'm happy with how it turned out.  I wear leggings, so why not under a sheer-ish dress?




At last I've found a couple of versatile looks for this dress that I'm comfortable with.
Take it easy this Monday xo

22 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant. I love the casual way with the denim jacket, plus brooches. But I adore the evening option with the feather cape.
    How wonderful you are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous from head to toe.....two total different ways to showcase this beauty!!!
    Thank you for the award too hunnie.....too sweet!!!

    Have a Fantastic Day!!!
    Statements in Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your sweet comment also love reading yours :D and this outfit is my favorite it looks so good on you !!

    xx sunbeam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! How utterly amazing do you look? I'm so glad you didn't go for the petticoat option as you can see the beauty of the intricate lace so much better the way you've styled it.
    This may be one of my all time favourite outfits on you. LOve it. xxx
    PS Thanks so much for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That *is* amazing lace, and amazing structure and finishing. I'd want to display it in a window just so I could enjoy the pattern and delicate seams all the time. Nice ways to wear it, too, preserving the visibility of the pattern and shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've found a way to capture one lace dress in a casual and elegant way! I love brooches so am totally in love with your little collection. I think I love your evening look the best. And I never would have thought a cape of feathers would have much stretch in a wardrobe but you have managed to pair it with a lot of things.

    I love your creative style of dressing!

    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is sooo elegant! love how you styled it with denim and these jewellery! dfinitely chic!!

    www.elekonchicboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to wear the dress, love both options! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely blog!

    xx
    bangeli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the first casual look <3<3 (And the wedges!!And badges!)

    Flea markets are the bestest

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. sweet look. Amazing find for $1. I've been liking the sheer overdresses I've been seeing and wondering how I would style them. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Colette Dinnigan for $1!! What a snag! Gorgeous dress - why do people do away with such lovely things in their closet? Oh well all the better for savvy shoppers like you! I love it with the feather cape, hat and leggings. It's like 1930's glamour but done 2010 style. Thanks for the sunshine award!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Just wow. I mean, wow. That dress is a wonder-dress. I find very few things these days that I could say are "hot" but I would say that dress falls into the hot category. I especially like the first look. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. briiiiliant :D love what you've done with the dress!
    great blog!
    loving the posts
    stop by some time xx
    take a peek at my giveaway while you're at it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! I cannot believe you got it for only $1! i would also have to pinch myself everytime I was to wear it. love both looks you created.. I honestly don't know which one I love more they are both amazing!
    xo
    ari

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW ! Great dress , and the way you styled it with the denim/leggings/brooches is perfect and keeps the lace at the center of attention :)
    I too have a lace dress (more of a shorter version w/short sleeves) and have worn it to many parties with the black slip/black tights combo. This give me great new ideas for it! Super inspiring post :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ciao, what a bargain! Love the way you combined both outfits with that stunning lace dress, you really know what style is made of.
    Swear I'll be back, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi!I'm obsessed by lace and this dress is amazing and the two looks you hae created fantastic!
    you blog is so beautiful...
    I follow. visit me and if u like it do the same.
    bye, v

    http://v4visionarity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun blog! Fabulous dress and don't you just love that it was only $1?! To look like a million bucks for only 1.....that's a beautiful thing.

    The Elegant Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great dress and a steal too! I lve how you styled both looks, so different and both fab! I'd probably do something boring like epwear a vintage slip in peach under, you were much mire creative!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  21. So THIS is how to wear my vintage brooches that I just can't throw out.

    What would we drool over if we didn't have lace? It has been around for hundreds of years and it never ceases to amaze everyone of us fabric lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the dress with the denim jacket!!

    I've only just found your blog through Vintage Vixens linkage - will have to pop by again!!

    Sal xXx

    ReplyDelete

Just do it ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...